Ten things to keep busy when social distancing
Staying at home gives you more time to do the things that you thought you would never get round to doing. It is important to have a positive mind-set during a lockdown and maintain a healthy routine.
Here are ten things you can keep yourself busy with while still practising social distancing:
1. Reading the Holy Quran each day: Now is the perfect time to get started on making a khatam of the Noble Quran. With Ramadan only a few weeks away, it is important for us to prepare ourselves spiritually for this blessed month. Make a timetable and allocate a certain number of pages of the Quran daily to recite each day. This will also assist you to get in routine for the month of Ramadan and gain the Almighty’s pleasure and mercy.
2. Spend time admiring Allah’s creation: Take a moment to admire the beauty around you; look up at the sky, take a walk in your garden, smell the flowers and remember to say ‘SubhanAllah’ every time you do. This is a great act of Thikr and reminds you to make shukr to Allah (SWT) for all the blessings he has bestowed upon us.
3. De-clutter your home: Being at home is the perfect opportunity to clean it. Organize your garage, pantries, and wardrobes and remove unused items and clutter. Empty shelves, wipe them down and repack only what is needed. Put aside items that you are no longer using and can donate to charity. Not only will you be organized and clean ready for the month of Ramadan but you will be able to five to charity too.
4. Create a home office: If you are working from home then allocate a space to set up your workstation. It is important to work in a clean, quiet and well-lit area. Maintain a strict work routine to ensure that you accomplish your tasks and that your mind is not idle.
5. Get creative: Now is a great time to get creative and do all the things you did not have time to do before. Spend a portion of your time each day journaling as this is an excellent exercise for the mind. Other fun tasks to do with children include sketching, painting, doing puzzles, coloring, crocheting, and knitting. They are great ideas for spending time as a family and keeping the children entertained while they are at home.
6. Read a novel: Reading stimulates the mind, expands your imagination and improves your memory. Make a list of books that you would like to read and spend some time each day relaxing your mind and reading. If the weather is nice, read in the garden as the fresh air will help release endorphins.
7. Get cooking: Cooking is a form of art that can be perfected during this extra time. It is crucial that you monitor your diet during self-isolation. Watch your calories and do not over-indulge on unhealthy foods. Instead, research and try different healthy recipes, to vary your weekly meal plans. Your meals should be balanced and consist of carbohydrates, proteins, vitamins, minerals, and water.
8. Bake with your family: Baking is a great way of spending time together, as a family. It is also a wonderful exercise in creativity. Give your kids some sprinkles and make colorful icings for them to decorate their own cookies and cupcakes. It is also a great way to teach the concepts of measuring and quantities to children.
9. Do a home workout: Staying active is essential during this self-isolation period. Download a home workout app and allocate a certain portion of the day towards physical activity. Exercise will release endorphins, make you burn calories, promote a healthy wellbeing, and strengthen your immune system which is of extreme importance during this pandemic.
10. Meditate: The Coronavirus pandemic can cause stress, anxiety, and worry. It is important to take care of your mental health and meditation has many benefits. It lengthens your attention span, strengthens memory and enhances your self-awareness. Try to meditate daily, preferably at sunrise or sunset. Choose a quiet calming area of the home and consider lighting candles and listening to soothing music to further enhance your relaxation.
It is important to maintain a routine and keep busy during a lockdown. Take this opportunity to take a step back from your normal routine, reflect and reconnect with your family and especially, the Almighty.
As much as we yearn for normality, it is important to have a positive mind-set and continue to pray that the Almighty grant us ease and relief from this hardship.