The Prophet (saw) narrated, “He who loves my Sunnah has loved me, and he who loves me will be with me in Paradise.” [Tirmidhi].
The Sunnah is used to describe the life and teachings of the Prophet (saw). The Quran tells us in the verse: “There has certainly been for you in the Messenger of Allah an excellent pattern for anyone whose hope is in Allah and the Last Day and [who] remembers Allah often” [Quran 33:21]. The most ideal way of understanding Allah’s book and its teachings is to follow the footsteps of the Prophet (saw) and shape our lives according to the example he left behind. As Muslims, we must make it a point to imprint the Sunnah in our hearts and souls and its teachings to be translated in our everyday actions.
Every Sunnah of the Messenger (saw) has great benefits if practiced. Here are 5 important Sunnah practices that you can incorporate in your daily life:
1. Recite Quran Daily: There are several benefits of reciting the Quran. The Prophet (saw) narrated, “Verily the one who recites the Quran beautifully, smoothly and precisely, he will be in the company of the noble and obedient angels. And as for the one who recites with difficulty, stammering or stumbling through its verses, then he will have TWICE that reward.” (Sahih Al-Bukhari). For every letter that you recite of the Quran, there are 10 rewards. These are among many other rewards that are mentioned in the Ahadith of our beloved Messenger (saw) of reciting the Quran daily.
2. Sunnah for Entering the Home: When entering your home, enter with the right foot, recite the Dua for entering the home, and enter with gentleness. Do not bang the door or slam it hard, as the Prophet (saw) encouraged us to conduct actions with gentleness.
Dua for entering the home:
“Bismil-lahi walajna, wabismil-lahi kharajna, waAAala rabbina tawakkalna.”
In the name of Allah we enter and in the name of Allah we leave, and upon our Lord we place our trust.
3. Spreading Salaam: Abu Umamah (RA) reported that the Messenger of Allah (saw) said, “Verily, the best people to Allah are those who are first to greet with peace.” [Sunan Abi Dawud]. Greeting with the Salam “Assalamualaykum” is a Sunnah that our Messenger (saw) emphasized. One must say the Salam and place their right hand forward to shake hands with their Muslim brother as this increases peace and unity.
4. Smile, it’s Sunnah! The Prophet (saw) said, “Smiling in your brother’s face is an act of charity” (At-Tirmidhi). This authentic hadith teaches us that smiling is equivalent to spending in the path of Allah, without one physically spending their wealth in an act of charity. Science also shows that smiling releases endorphins that stimulate brain cells, making us happy. Therefore, one must try their level best to incorporate this Sunnah practice daily in their lives.
5. Sleeping: When going to sleep, dust your bed sheets, and raise your hands to make Dua to the Almighty. It is advised that one must sleep in a state of Wudhu, facing the Qibla on the right side. The Prophet of Allah (saw) said, “Truly this fire is an enemy to you, so when you get to bed put it out” (Sahih Muslim). From this hadith, we can see that the Prophet (saw) advised us to switch off all fires before going to sleep. One must also ensure that all electrical appliances and lamps are switched off before going to sleep.
The Prophet (saw) was an example for mankind to follow and these are few of the many simple Sunnah practices of his that we can implement in our lives daily. May the Almighty guide us all to lead a life in the footsteps of the Prophet (saw) and help us gain success in this world and the hereafter, Aameen!